More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator (find an active one) on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
BotMultichillT 05:36, 12 July 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Pascal Duprat ca1880.jpg is uncategorized since 11 July 2009.
- Image:Leguat1891dominesalvanos.jpg was uncategorized on 19 September 2009.
- Image:Leguat1891frontispieceFr1708.jpg was uncategorized on 19 September 2009.
- Image:Leguat1891solitaire.jpg was uncategorized on 19 September 2009.
- Image:The 'Abraham of Kütahya' ewer dated 1510.jpg was uncategorized on 21 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:47, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
Hi! Unfortunately the collection of Islamic arts of the Louvre is closed for works; the new department is due to open in 2012. However, I will go to the Metropolitan Museum in November; I had planned to take pics in the Islamic arts section anyway. I'll pay attention to Iznik ceramic. Also, I often go to London, so next time I'll try my luck at the British Museum and the V&A. Jastrow (Λέγετε) 18:20, 28 September 2011 (UTC)
Hi! I'm very surprised by the low quality of the pic on the Met website. I didn't do anything special, except to gently put the front of my lens flat on the glass case. It's a very efficient technique to avoid most glass reflections. About bowls, it's a problem indeed (see for instance File:Bowl Bahram Gur Azadeh Met 57.36.14 n02.jpg). I've tried to use a reflector, but it was too hard to hold it with one hand and shoot the picture with the other. I reckon it could work with another person holding the reflector.
I meant to drop you a message, as I went last year to the Met's new department of Islamic arts, and more recently to the British Museum and the V&A. I shot as many pics of Islamic art (Iznik pottery in particular) as I could. The upload of objects from the Met has begun; I'll try and upload the others soon. Also, the new department of Islamic arts of the Louvre is due to open in the summer. I hope there won't be new delays! Jastrow (Λέγετε) 14:24, 9 March 2012 (UTC)