Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
BotMultichillT 06:26, 16 March 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Akronohio inUS.png is uncategorized since 15 March 2009. BotMultichillT 06:26, 16 March 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Nhct skyline pan9.jpg is uncategorized since 30 May 2009.
- Image:Rockfish gap va.jpg is uncategorized since 18 June 2009.
- Image:Sunnystormcloud.jpg is uncategorized since 20 July 2009.
- Image:Rebuilding shoreline NewHavenCT.jpg is uncategorized since 8 August 2009.
- Image:Riprap shoreline NewHavenCT.jpg is uncategorized since 8 August 2009.
- Image:Gasstation tank removal.jpg was uncategorized on 6 May 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:03, 7 May 2011 (UTC)
Thank You for the Wikipedia Picture
Hello, My name is Duane Hurst and I recently made a free (non-commercial) English web site to share information with people. I added links to your Wikipedia/Wikimedia freeware picture. I also gave credit to you on my web pages for your work. Thank you for sharing with the public. My website is:
I add pictures such as yours to one of the following major sections of my site: 1. World section - contains information and over 10,000 images of every world country and territory. Link at: http://www.freeenglishsite.com/world/index.htm
2. USA section - contains information and images of every USA state and territory. Link at: http://www.freeenglishsite.com/world/usa/index.htm
3. English section - "Mel and Wes" lessons in conversation format. Stories are located in various USA states and world countries such as China, England, Germany, Japan, Mexico and Thailand. Each lesson has many slang terms and idioms, which I link to my Slang Dictionary. This eventually will have over 5,000 terms. Currently, it has about 3,000 slang and idioms. I regularly add new lessons and slang terms. Link at: http://www.freeenglishsite.com/english/lessons/index.htm Slang Dictionary link at: http://www.freeenglishsite.com/english/slang/Eslang_a.htm
Prior to retirement, I taught English at several private and public universities in the United States.
Please share this free site with your friends. I hope all will enjoy the pictures and find the English information useful. Sincerely, Duane Hurst in Utah, USA
Email address: email@example.com --220.127.116.11 22:59, 5 December 2012 (UTC)
Reminder: Round 2 of Picture of the Year 2016 is open!
You are receiving this message because you voted in R1 of the 2016 Picture of the Year contest.
Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the second round of the 2016 Picture of the Year competition is now open. This year will be the eleventh edition of the annual Wikimedia Commons photo competition, which recognizes exceptional contributions by users on Wikimedia Commons. Wikimedia users are invited to vote for their favorite images featured on Commons during the last year (2016) to produce a single Picture of the Year.
Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year were entered in this competition. These images include professional animal and plant shots, breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historical images, photographs portraying the world's best architecture, impressive human portraits, and so much more.
There are two total rounds of voting. In the first round, you voted for as many images as you liked. In Round 1, there were 1475 candidate images. There are 58 finalists in Round 2, comprised of the top 30 overall as well as the top #1 and #2 from each sub-category.
In the final round, you may vote for just one or maximal three image to become the Picture of the Year.
Round 2 will end on 20 April 2017, 23:59:59 UTC.
--Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee 08:43, 16 April 2017 (UTC)