User talk:Grandpa Larry
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing images
Hello, Grandpa Larry!
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
- Image:AR Denarius Obv 900.jpg was uncategorized on 12 July 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:42, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
I figured out how to add the category to my other image, too. I am all set but have no idea how to post the images or link them to Wikipedia article(s). That's why I came here to post images. Any help would be appreciated. : )
- Yeah, there's a bunch of stuff to learn; that's why we have help pages and individual talk pages. Minor thing, your category still isn't working because you said "Ancient Roman coin" rather than "Ancient Roman coins" which is the actual name of the category. Dreadfully picky, these computer things. Anyway, you can look at my user page User:Jim.henderson to see how I attached a picture. Jim.henderson (talk) 11:39, 14 July 2010 (UTC)