More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
-- 05:15, 24 June 2011 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
- Image:Tubao Municipal Officials circa 1890.jpg was uncategorized on 24 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:58, 25 June 2011 (UTC)
Hi and thanks for the pictures you uploaded to Commons. About file categorization, I've fixed almost all the pic's categories. Some suggestions to categorize images:
- When you add the category, you may see in the "preview" if it exist (blue) or not (red). Also a not existant category could be created. Take care to search if this new category exist in another form (for example "Municipal Buildings" exist in the form "Municipal buildings" with lower b). A category for municipal symbols in the Philippines exists and its name is "Seals of cities and municipalities in the Philippines".
- Search the deepest (as possible) category. For example, Municipalities, may only contain subcategories per country. Another example, in the category for La Union, it exist a subcat for its monuments. Anyway, if you want to create a category for the city you depicted, you can.
- Ah yes: I've now created the Category:Tubao, La Union adding your pictures related to it (I hope it could be useful to you). The Category:Tubao is a cat redirect to it and nothing may be categorized over there. I've used the form "Tubao, La Union" instead of "Tubao" (even if there are no homonyms) because it seems the standard form used for towns in the Philippines (and in other countries as U.S.A. and Canada).
- Some "red" categories are not necessary. For example: the Category:Diosdado Macapagal still exists and "Photographs of Diosdado Macapagal" is redundant. In a category about a person the most common files you can find are photos.
Thanks for the attention, this would be a little guide of suggestions about file categorizations. I hope it could be useful and, in case of doubts, ask me. Good work and regards. --Dэя-Бøяg 17:05, 11 September 2012 (UTC)