Hello, yes, I didn't accept the copyright shortly after upload - I'd be greatful if they could be deleted! Thanks for your help and understanding! :) — Preceding unsigned comment added by LawrenceAbel (talk • contribs) 22:45, 22 May 2016 (UTC)
- Thanks for heads-up. That was certainly an error and I've fixed it. I'm not even sure how it happened, maybe I edited from the old version in error?--Nilfanion (talk) 10:52, 10 April 2016 (UTC)
I am currently discussing about an unblock with Opabinia regalis (talk · contribs) via email. As far as I can see I have generally done well here, I have discussed things and we have generally reached an agreement (usually because I am unsure/neutral and you're sure). As you can see on Wikipedia there are still articles on missing civil parishes (see w:Template:Devon parishes that need to be created. I did however suggest that maybe we could use a bot to create "missing" articles. Do you also think that we could use the bot User:GeographBot to add civil parish categories rather than having to do it manually, the Geograph images specify the location and photographa location. The rest could go in the unparished area categories (which may still need to be created). Crouch, Swale (talk) 13:43, 25 April 2016 (UTC)
- Both bot suggestions you make above are bad ideas - both tasks are best done manually. Specifically:
- WP articles should be created as more than a bland bot-generated stub - w:user:Rambot is infamous on WP for that. Articles are clearly needed for many CPs but at minimum I would want to see a decent paragraph of prose about the places. Not an infobox and one sentence.
- Locating images is not bot-friendly. GeographBot did try to locate the photos, and had an error rate that was sometimes as high as 30%. Even if the bot does the lookup perfectly there are still problems. The location is sometimes vague (only to the 1km grid square), the geograph user may have gotten it wrong, and most seriously, the data is for camera location not subject location. Files should be categorised on what they show, not where they were taken.
- With regards to unblock on WP, that is up to the - and the standard offer may be appropriate. If you are unblocked, I'd strongly recommend you creating articles about minor locations (as in anything that is not a Civil Parish) - and instead focus on trying to write higher quality articles about the more important places. Minor locations do not always qualify as hamlets - if its not a hamlet, its almost certainly not notable, and if it is a hamlet it may not be.--Nilfanion (talk) 11:08, 27 April 2016 (UTC)
Thanks for the tip on making .svg files - I had no idea I could edit them in a text editor! I can see the improvement straight away.