Yo Ho Ho
Help uploading a derivative
- OK DerivativeFX is down, which is unfortunate as it made the formatting easy.
- That means the standardt upload form at Special:Upload is only real option. As long as license is cc-by-sa only and the "Source" and "Author" fields to have the same layout as on the Solihull map you will be fine.
- Best approach for you might be to use that Solihull map as a template.--Nilfanion (talk) 09:53, 8 September 2015 (UTC)
Question about how to create maps
Love your maps of England. Can you (very briefly) explain what software and data you use to create them, or are there any good tutorials you know of? I'm not asking for chapter and verse, just enough to point me in the right direction as am total noob.
PS is this really how Wikipedia users send messages to each other? There's no private message function at all here?
- OK I'll try to give you a brief version here. Note some maps are substantially harder than others - and relief maps like File:England relief location map.jpg are much more difficult than political ones.
- Software - You need some sort of GIS software such as QGIS. In addition, Inkscape is useful to turn the output files into a more polished product.
- Data - Almost all of the data in my maps is from Ordnance Survey OpenData. Boundary-Line and OS Terrain 50 are the two most important products (for boundaries and contours).
- There are tutorials on Wikipedia at w:Wikipedia:Graphics Lab/Resources/Tutorials, but I cannot comment on their quality. When I started I just found experimenting with the software for myself easiest.
- And yes, this is standard communication method :) Private messaging exists in the form of email via "Email this user" feature. In general, private communication is discouraged as on-topic discussion of content should be done in public - so others can participate and see how decisions were reached. Off-subject communication (eg social reasons) is not Wikipedia's purpose.--Nilfanion (talk) 10:18, 8 September 2015 (UTC)
- Thanks for taking the time to explain, that's very helpful! -- danlucraft11:18, 9 September 2015 (CST)
Hi, as an active colleague on upload projects, I thought I'd drop you a personal heads-up for my request for adminship, today being the last day for views. RFA's tend to only have a small proportion of the community taking part, so it can be difficult to judge if this is representative. --Fæ (talk) 13:29, 17 September 2015 (UTC)