More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel irc:wikimedia-commons #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons talk:Licensing.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Thanks for working on the German to English translation I posted on Commons:2008 Election suffrage poll . I agree with all your changes except where you chose to make "It gives priority to those from the slightly larger languages, it needs a translation." become "Prepare a translation first the the slightly larger language.". I think you typed, "...first the the slightly...", where you meant, "...first in the slightly...". I think a clearer way might be "First prepare a translation for the slightly larger languages." Adverbs like "first" can fit in many places in a large English sentence but, especially in commands, it is often helpful to native English speakers if you put them as early as you grammatically can in the sentence because English speakers are more familiar with processing a "<modifier> <term>" style than a "<term> that is <modifier>" type. I also think you accidentally made "language" singular. Mine was rough on purpose because I thought that way people could more easily compare it to the machine version but I missed out on the command interpretation. I think it was great and bold for you to try improving a translation and I want to learn how to do so better. That's why I'm giving you pointers, so that you may help me in turn. :)--Thecurran (talk) 06:24, 14 September 2008 (UTC)
- Yes, the "the the" and singular "language" were mistakes; oops. -- pne (talk) 09:24, 14 September 2008 (UTC)
File:The Chaser APEC prank map.png
Hi, you made a comment at File talk:The Chaser APEC prank map.png and I didn't know if you were watching the page or not. I need some help in regard to the image's licence, perhaps you could reply there. Sorry for lateness, and I probably won't watch this page, thankyou The Windler talk 10:55, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
BotMultichillT 23:16, 7 September 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Credit-score-chart.svg was uncategorized on 6 September 2009.
- Image:Stiefo-konsonanten.png was uncategorized on 4 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 13:38, 5 September 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Stiefo-vokale.png was uncategorized on 4 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 13:38, 5 September 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Stiefo-punkte.png was uncategorized on 5 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 15:11, 6 September 2011 (UTC)