|Object location||View all coordinates using: OpenStreetMap - Google Earth - Proximityrama|
city of Tamil Nadu in southern India
|Location||Madurai district, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Elevation above sea level|
Madurai (Tamil: மதுரை and IPA: [mɐd̪ɯrəj]), is the oldest inhabited city in the Indian peninsula. It is a city in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu and is the second corporation of Tamil Nadu (next to Chennai). It is situated on the banks of the River Vaigai in Madurai district. The city is widely known as the Temple city, and is often also referred to as Koodal Maanagar, Cultural Capital of Tamil Nadu, Malligai Maanagar (City of Jasmine), Thoonga Nagaram (Sleepless City), and Athens of the East. With a city population of 1,108,755 (2006), it is the second largest city in the state of Tamil Nadu, and the head quarters and administrative capital of Madurai district.
This category has the following 10 subcategories, out of 10 total.
- ► Madurai in art (6 F)
- ► Buildings in Madurai (14 C, 29 F)
- ► Culture of Madurai (9 C, 5 F)
- ► Education in Madurai (3 C)
- ► Geography of Madurai (7 C)
- ► History of Madurai (9 C, 1 P)
- ► Nature of Madurai (9 F)
- ► People of Madurai (7 C, 16 F)
- ► Sculptures in Madurai district (1 C)
- ► Transport in Madurai (5 C, 1 F)
Pages in category "Madurai"
This category contains only the following page.
Media in category "Madurai"
The following 4 files are in this category, out of 4 total.
- Kongar puliyankulam Jain bed & Tamil Brahmi script.jpg 4,230 × 2,939; 2.49 MB
- Kongar puliyankulam Tamil Brahmi Script.jpg 4,171 × 2,847; 3.91 MB
- Madurai meenakshi amman temple tower.jpg 1,945 × 1,216; 348 KB
- Thiruparankundram Umai Andar Cave Temple.jpg 1,972 × 1,306; 924 KB