Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content).
You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold when contributing and assume good faith when interacting with others. This is a wiki.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
- Image:OCTranspo Bayshore Station - Transitway Corridor.jpg was uncategorized on 17 December 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:49, 18 December 2011 (UTC)
Unnecessary OTRS templates
You have recently put an OTRS pending template on following files, uploaded by myself:
- Kriegsmonument Ammeldingen (Neuerburg) 01.jpg
- Kriegsmonument Biersdorf 01.jpg
- Wegkreuz Biersdorf Erzbergstrasse 01.jpg
- Wegkapelle Ammeldingen (Neuerburg) Kapellenweg 01.jpg
- Kirche Ammeldingen (Neuerburg) 01.jpg
- Kirche Biersdorf 01.jpg
- Schengen 6 Hemmeberreg 01.jpg
- Biersdorf am See (Stausee Bitburg) 01.jpg
The OTRS process had been treated on these files already by User:Didym, please look at the file history. His conclusion was that a permission for all these files is not necessary. It would be nice if you could remove the template. --MMFE (talk) 11:16, 15 September 2016 (UTC)
Hey, it's Kwiecinski. I'm very sorry for my actions on Wikipedia. I realized that my actions are inexcusable and I regret having done them. I want to continue editing dog and hip hop articles. May you please grant me a second chance? Also, the reason why I'm asking is because the block that you've imposed for this range I'm currently using is a bit harsh. I think that it should be lifted or its duration be abridged because it is not fair for those people who did not commit any harm in the first place. (See this? Me and so many other people cannot edit because of this block.) —Preceding unsigned comment was added by 2607:FB90:60E8:8D28:C27:9573:E93B:CCDC (talk) 01:48, 5 December 2018 (UTC)