This is not an encyclopedia article or the talk page for an encyclopedia article. If you find this page on any site other than Wikimedia Commons, you are viewing a mirror site. Be aware that the page may be outdated and that the user to whom this talk page belongs to may have no personal affiliation with any site other than Commons itself. The original talk page is located at http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Jameslwoodward
My formal name is James L. Woodward, but I prefer to be called "Jim"
The work was not taken from the social network Facebook. On the contrary, this photograph has an authorial origin and, later, through a photography process with free and unequivocal authorization, its publication and dissemination was allowed, in any network, services and free sharing on networks. It has no commercial connection. It is used for free publicity of the Brazilian artist. That is, the images found “are in the sources”, but were not taken from these sources. They are on the networks or in any environment, after the free and public submission of our authorial origin, on behalf of Lanna Rodrigues (artistic name of Elane Martins Rodrigues), Brazilian singer and songwriter, of The Voice Brasil. Sorry for my english, I'm from another country.
- MCF11, when you uploaded the image, you claimed that you were the actual photographer. Now you say that it came from somewhere else. If that is the case, then we need to be told the actual source so that we can see that it is freely licensed.
- As for Facebook, the image ID in the EXIF is from Facebook, so at some point it was posted there. And, please note, that claiming you were the photographer when you were not is a serious violation of Commons rules. If you do it again you may be blocked from editing here. . Jim . . . (Jameslwoodward) (talk to me) 22:06, 2 May 2022 (UTC)
- (Jameslwoodward) - Sorry, you didn't understand, I wanted to say, I don't speak the English language for me to write at a high quality level. From another place, I was trying to say that, I'm in Brazil. The photo is from Brazil. Do you understand? I am responsible for the photo. I'll take another photo, new! Thank you for your support.
- Desculpe, não compreendeu, eu queria dizer, não domino a língua inglesa para eu escrever no nível alto de qualidade. De outro lugar, eu estava tentando dizer que, eu estou no Brasil. A foto é do Brasil. Compreende? Eu sou o responsável pela foto. Eu vou fazer outra foto, nova! Obrigado por seu apoio.
- MCF11 (talk) 22:21, 2 May 2022 (UTC)
- Friends, preventing me from continuing to build my work, prevents me from being able to build the notoriety needed to be reviewed by you. I am learning, and making an effort to put the categories together. Not always fast enough, because alone I am building the tree, the algorithms, the data, the art, the writing, the independent research in Brazil, etc. In the coming days, I will build on top of the American Wikipedia, to maintain the necessary links, as it happens in the Brazilian Wikipedia. I ask for patience and support so that I can present more data, correct my mistakes and maintain the integrity of the information and the expected quality. Please help me understand what I am doing wrong?
- You cannot inform and state and publicly disclose facts that offend the reputation of (someone), in this case this is called "Defamation" in my Country. The message that "Uploader made false claims of "own work" on other images" is wrong. ( Please review this information against my personal reputation. A misinterpretation occurred, in the facts I wrote as a reply in another image, due to the translation from Portuguese to English.
- Amigos, impedindo-me de continuar a construir o meu trabalho, impede-me de poder construir a notoriedade necessária para ser revisto por vós. Estou a aprender, e a fazer um esforço para juntar as categorias. Nem sempre suficientemente rápido, porque sozinho estou a construir a árvore, os algoritmos, os dados, a arte, a escrita, a pesquisa independente no Brasil, etc. Nos próximos dias, vou construir em cima da Wikipédia americana, para manter as ligações necessárias, tal como acontece na Wikipédia brasileira. Peço paciência e apoio para que possa apresentar mais dados, corrigir os meus erros e manter a integridade da informação e a qualidade esperada. Por favor, ajude-me a compreender o que estou a fazer mal?
- Não pode informar e declarar e divulgar publicamente factos que ofendem a reputação de (alguém), neste caso, isto chama-se "Difamação" no meu País. A mensagem de que "Uploader fez falsas alegações de "trabalho próprio" em outras imagens" está errada. ( Por favor, reveja esta informação contra a minha reputação pessoal. Ocorreu uma interpretação errada, nos factos que escrevi como resposta noutra imagem, devido à tradução do português para o inglês.
- MCF11 (talk) 14:18, 3 May 2022 (UTC)
- Sir, I promise I will improve. I will start a new project with another photo, for your review and permission. Please do not distrust my reputation and my work. There is no reason to expose myself publicly, without good faith and honesty on my side. I thank you for your understanding, I apologize in advance for the misinterpretation on my part in this linguistic confusion.
- Senhor, prometo que irei melhorar. Iniciarei um novo projecto com outra fotografia, para a vossa revisão e autorização. Por favor, não desconfie da minha reputação e do meu trabalho. Não há razão para me expor publicamente, sem boa fé e honestidade do meu lado. Agradeço-vos pela vossa compreensão, peço antecipadamente desculpa pela interpretação errada da minha parte nesta confusão linguística. — Preceding unsigned comment added by MCF11 (talk • contribs) 14:28, 3 May 2022 (UTC)
Hi sir. About my pictures I do uploaded it's very clearly of copyright. You wrong. Before that this pictures in yesterday fixed and accepted by an one administrator. All pics have in public domain. Below the source Cleary in Persian language write this item.Plz back those pics. Thanks پاتريشيا67 (talk) 16:39, 12 May 2022 (UTC)
- Sorry, as I noted in my deletions, they all appear on pages with a clear and explicit copyright notice. . Jim . . . (Jameslwoodward) (talk to me) 12:57, 13 May 2022 (UTC)
text length and copyright
I can provide you some examples of non-copyrighted texts from Poland:
- official speaches by The President of Poland to the nation
- an official congratulation letter send by a major of a city to anybody (eg. on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of birth)
- a transcript from an official meeting in a city council (it may be protected as official secret, but not copyrighted)
etc. They are excluded in Polish copyright law from being "a work". Regardless of their length and artistic expression. I think, it is similar in US. In Iran, however, we may fall under PCP, if no futrther information. Ankry (talk) 17:39, 17 May 2022 (UTC)
Ankry, we're talking about different aspects of the law. The discussion at UnDR revolves around the question of whether a letter can have a copyright -- any letter, not a letter from a government official. It seems to me that the answer to that question is a clear "of course". That's well established. I completely agree that letters from government officials are PD in some countries, including the USA. We don;t know about Iran. . Jim . . . (Jameslwoodward) (talk to me) 13:09, 18 May 2022 (UTC)
Small pox pix
Dear Jim: I don't even remember why they happened. Probably in error. I don't make a lot of mistakes but I am super grateful when people catch them. I have been on a couple weeks of antibiotics which is why I haven't been as active recently. Cheers! Ellin Beltz (talk) 22:05, 26 May 2022 (UTC)
Ellin -- we all make mistakes -- as you say, not many, hopefully. No sweat.
I hope whatever you have goes away easily.
Essa foto NÃO pertence ao site do g1, ela é de domínio público da prefeitura de Bragança Paulista. Basta ler a descrição na matéria. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Raposa Bragantina (talk • contribs) 19:51, 2 June 2022 (Raposa Bragantina) (UTC)
Symbol oppose vote.svg Oppose As a general rule, when an image has appeared on the Web with an explicit copyright notice, as in this case, we require that the actual copyright holder send a free license via VRT. The file description says that the source and author of the image is "Prefeitura de Bragança Paulista", but does not give the source web site or any evidence that it is CC-BY-SA as claimed there, or PD as claimed above. In Spain only a very limited set of laws, regulations, judicial decisions, and the like are Public Domain, see
This work is in the public domain according to Spanish Royal Act 1/1996, on April 12, about Intellectual Property, article 13,
That means that laws, resolutions and so, from the governments, parliaments and other public and official administrations of Spain, its autonomous communities and other public entities, are not eligible for copyright protection.
As an edict of a government, it is also in the public domain in the United States.
. Photos such as this one are copyrighted. In order for this to be restored, you must prove that it is freely licensed by the photographer. . Jim . . . (Jameslwoodward) (talk to me) 22:39, 2 June 2022 (UTC)
- Signing your posts is required on talk pages and Commons:Signatures policy to sign your posts on talk pages, user talk pages, deletion requests, and noticeboards. To do so, simply add four tildes (~~~~) at the end of your comments. Your user name or IP address (if you are not logged in) and a timestamp will then automatically be added when you save your comment. Signing your comments helps people to find out who said something and provides them with a link to your user/talk page (for further discussion). Thank you.
thanks for involving into a page for Taymur Streng, who was a fellow of mine. We both actually wrote the article on Wikipedia together. It was a purpose for Taymur to be represented as good and far as possible on the internet, including Wikipedia and Commons page. I can send you original mails from Taymur, who sent the shown works to me in february, when I asked for some files to be embedded in the Wiki-article. Here's an excerpt copied from our mail exchange, maybe that will be enough. All of the works are attached in the mail exchange for that reason, and if you send a mail to my address email@example.com, I can forward the relevant mails to you (or maybe screenshots from the original exchange, but I wouldn't know where to upload them ...):
" Fleißig );, ja mittlerweile entstehen fast täglich mehrere Takte, wenn ich zum bzw. vom Dienst fahre.. Zwischendurch kümmere ich mich um die Gestaltung von neuen Stücken, u.a. mit eigener Videokunst; stimmt Jitter sollte man evtl. einbeziehen PS: ich benötige Hinweise zur inneren Struktur des mxf-Formats, verwendet z.B. in Max8
www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3wH1hnbxtN0TTT0xNtAq7MHkqW7AgB0T uploaded pieces via youtube.com (Taymur Streng)
last release: "digits & tentacles" www.taymurstreng.bandcamp.com
www.taymurstreng.de www.mixcloud.com/xaez_2 www.youtube.com/search?q=taymur+streng vimeo.com/search?q=taymur+streng
www.facebook.com/your.tstreng Am Mittwoch, 16. Februar 2022, 19:23:05 MEZ hat Mitzi Mess <firstname.lastname@example.org> Folgendes geschrieben:
hab mir jetzt um die 5 stunden oder so el ac reingezogen und jetzt reichts mal für heute. morgen gibts den rest. die ohren brauchen auch mal pause. hab den link noch an diverse andere weitergeschickt.
ne, hör ich zum erstenmal und fummel mich grad in den wikiartikel rein. vielleicht leg ich mir das mal zu ...
Betreff: Re: AW: WG: Taymur Streng
Von: "Taymur Streng" <email@example.com>
An: "Mitzi Mess" <MimmiMess@t-online.de>
Kennst du cockos Reaper nicht? );
uploaded pieces via youtube.com (Taymur Streng)
last release: "digits & tentacles" www.taymurstreng.bandcamp.com
www.taymurstreng.de www.mixcloud.com/xaez_2 www.youtube.com/search?q=taymur+streng vimeo.com/search?q=taymur+streng www.facebook.com/your.tstreng Am Mittwoch, 16. Februar 2022, 19:08:09 MEZ hat Mitzi Mess <firstname.lastname@example.org> Folgendes geschrieben:
53 takken, krass. brauch ich dafür ein cubase?
Betreff: Re: AW: WG: Taymur Streng Datum: 2022-02-16T19:05:56+0100 Von: "Taymur Streng" <email@example.com> An: "Mitzi Mess" <MimmiMess@t-online.de>
Aktuell verwende ich reaper, dort kann man sich eigene video plugins erstellen..
uploaded pieces via youtube.com (Taymur Streng)
last release: "digits & tentacles" www.taymurstreng.bandcamp.com www.taymurstreng.de www.mixcloud.com/xaez_2 www.youtube.com/search?q=taymur+streng vimeo.com/search?q=taymur+streng www.facebook.com/your.tstreng
Am Mittwoch, 16. Februar 2022, 18:57:25 MEZ hat Mitzi Mess <firstname.lastname@example.org> Folgendes geschrieben:
ist das max oder was ist das? gibts das jpg in einer höheren auflösung?
Betreff: Re: WG: Taymur Streng
Von: "Taymur Streng" <email@example.com>
An: "Mitzi Mess" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
zu treuen Hdn, von einem früheren Stück
I don't read German, so I used Google translate above. I don't see anything that even remotely resembles a free license for Streng's works. As I said at the UnDR, we will need a free license from his heir via VRT. . Jim . . . (Jameslwoodward) (talk to me) 13:58, 6 June 2022 (UTC)
- The excerpt was to show that there indeed was an intense mail contact between Taymur and me for writing the article de:Taymur Streng. I couldn't manage to copy the attachments, so I thought, this could be enough and added the possibility to personally send you the relevant mails above. When he sent the files, it was clear that they were for embedding them creative commons in the article. This should be enough as a license, for he cannot be asked anymore. I'm just contacting the Volunteer Response Team in this behave. In addition we maybe can reduce the uploads by some items, if you have the feeling that there are too many of them. --༄U-ji (talk) 14:23, 6 June 2022 (UTC)
- Please remember that both WP and Commons require that images be freely licensed for any use by anybody anywhere. While the interchanges above might -- probably not -- be acceptable to show he had an interest in having his work in WP, they don;t get anywhere near a free license. . Jim . . . (Jameslwoodward) (talk to me) 16:41, 6 June 2022 (UTC)
Hi Jim, I saw your perceptive analysis of copyright issues on another photo and was hoping to get your assistance on something I noticed.
The photo to the right was obviously taken by the federal government, but I don't see that it was ever released by the government. She ultimately was not installed in this government position. It was put into public circulation via a twitter post by the subject of the photo. Does this still count as public domain under the federal use policy? Thank you Nweil (talk) 20:29, 8 June 2022 (UTC)
Nweil, I strenuously disagree with "obviously taken by the federal government". It certainly may have been taken by a Federal employee, but I know that many people in public service use private portrait photographers for their portraits -- after all, they want to look their very best and a government photographer is not at the top of the profession. However, to answer your question, if it were taken by a Federal photographer, then it is PD, regardless of the subject's employment. If it were taken by anyone else, then it is under copyright, again regardless of her employment status or where it was published. . Jim . . . (Jameslwoodward) (talk to me) 22:14, 8 June 2022 (UTC)
Deletion requests for photos uploaded by User:Dendermonde vroeger & nu
Hi Jim, I apologize for bothering you. I'm writing concerning the uploads of User:Dendermonde vroeger & nu. I've seen the deletion requests regarding (a number of) his contributions.
I think this new contributor possibly has not realized how strict Commons is (and has to be) about permissions for uploading photos not taken by the uploader. On his talk page, I have suggested that he contact you directly (in English) to see what can be done. (See section "Ik vrees dat hier iets niet goed gaat..." on his talk page.) My impression is that this contributor is acting in good faith. It seems that he has a Facebook page with the same contributions, but that he feels that Wikimedia Commons is a better way of preserving this bit of local history. Which, probably, it is.
On his user page, he has recently (June 14) added a list of people who have given permission to use photos. I think we can conclude from this that he has understood the problem and certainly does try to follow the rules. Also, the photos themselves are evidently taken several decades ago, so probably not by these people themselves. I think they have found them in their family archives and have donated them to this user for his Facebook project.
I'm not asking you to ingnore or bend the rules. But I would think that from what I know we can conclude that the risk of trouble arising from the use of these photos is fairly remote. I can't imagine that any of the persons who have donated their photos would onbject to seeing them on Commons. I think we might see this as a variant of GLAM: there is a body of images that first resided in many archives (i.e. private collections, to be precise somebody's cupboard), now is accessible on Rudy's Facebook page, and would, I think, not be out of scope on Wikimedia Commons.
I think it would be a pity if this "project" would come to an untimely end. So, could I ask you to keep these deletion requests "pending" for some time while we try to sort out the permissions business? If I can be of assistance (if only for translation) I would be pleased to do so. With kind regards, MartinD (talk) 07:38, 15 June 2022 (UTC)
There's no mechanism by which I can keep DRs pending -- we have 200 Admins, any one of which could close them. The best thing is for a Dutch speaker to tell him in no uncertain terms that the only way that photos taken by others can be on Commons is if each of the photographers sends a free license using VRT. That's not very complicated. And, BTW, your argument that the photographers won't care may well be correct, but it is explicitly against the rules to make that assumption, see Precautionary Principle #3. . Jim . . . (Jameslwoodward) (talk to me) 13:12, 16 June 2022 (UTC)
- Thank you for your reply. I'll inform the uploader. The problem I foresee is that the original photographers may well have passed away many years ago... What is the procedure in such a situation? Suppose I have a photo, taken by my father, who passed away in 2001. I've inherited the photo. Can I say "I'm not the original photographer, but as his heir I own the property rights, including the intellectual property rights"? MartinD (talk) 14:32, 16 June 2022 (UTC)
I am Morteza Shokri, the owner of this page (Mortezashokriofficial ) and the owner of file:MortezaShokri.jpg
This is the first time I shared this photo on Facebook.
My file, which I own, was deleted a few days ago due to copyright. I personally uploaded the photo to Facebook. I deleted it from Facebook. I now request to cancel the deletion of my photo. My photo name: MortezaShokri.jpg
As you were told at UnDeletion Requests, there is no solution. It was deleted for copyright reasons, but we think it is also out of scope -- that is, a photo that has no educational value for Commons. . Jim . . . (Jameslwoodward) (talk to me) 13:34, 20 June 2022 (UTC)
I am messaging you because a contest for a sound logo for Wikimedia is being developed and your opinion as a Wikimedia Commons admin is appreciated. My team would like to know if it is possible for the top finalist sound logos in the contest to have attribution temporarily hidden from public view until all the votes are final? The idea is to let the public judge the sound logo contestants based on the merit of the logo, not the person or people who made it. Again, any feedback is appreciated.
I am not a good person to ask about technical issues such as this. The only thing that occurs to me is that you might have the entries e-mailed to a person who could then post them under that person's name, thus keeping the creators anonymous. . Jim . . . (Jameslwoodward) (talk to me) 13:37, 20 June 2022 (UTC)
Commons:Deletion requests/File:Stamp of Algeria - 1952 - Colnect 211521 - 10 ans de la Bataille de Bir Hakeim Battle of Bir Hakeim.jpeg
Hi, In this DR, I mentioned that the decision should also apply to File:Stamp of Algeria - 1952 - Colnect 916156 - 10e anniversaire de la bataille de Bir Hakeim.jpeg. However you didn't delete this file. Is this intentional? Also at which date, will they be PD in USA? Thanks, Yann (talk) 21:04, 30 June 2022 (UTC)
Hi. The poster contained an already public domain photo, there was nothing else individual on it. If I put a home-printed Mona Lisa poster on my balcony, that cannot be photographed? Xia (talk) 07:31, 1 July 2022 (UTC)
There are two aspects to this. First, you say the photo is PD. Ataturk died in 1938 and the Turkish rule is 70 years pma. In order for a photo whose country of origin is Turkey to be PD in the USA, the photographer would have had to die before 1926. That is possible in this case, but it seems unlikely.
Second, I think that the arrangement of the photo on the flag probably has a copyright, so even if the photo is PD, the combination is a problem. . Jim . . . (Jameslwoodward) (talk to me) 13:46, 1 July 2022 (UTC)
Hello Jim, You denied the deletion request. Can you please tell me what I need to do get the file deleted? I work for the Jes Macallan, this is her personal photo, taken by her. She never uploaded it here. The person that uploaded it said that they were Jes (https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:JesMacallan.jpg&oldid=241424035) in the description, which is untrue. I can provide proof that I work for her if needed. She would just like to get this photo deleted here. Any help/guidance that you can provide would be appreciated. Imayfan (talk) 03:53, 11 July 2022 (UTC)