More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
- Image:Rashmancha at Bishnupur.jpg was uncategorized on 6 March 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:53, 7 March 2010 (UTC)
Your recent uploads: Categorisation
Hi, please do not categorize your uploads (an example of your recent activity):
Please save time and capacity on commons by categorizing:
Please use as far as possible the category of the regarding city/town/village or district (if there's no category), or, a localized better 'fitting' i.e. the 'most fitting"' category(ies), and, do not add - in addition - the categories of the city, state and country, too.
For further information on categories please read Commons:Categories referring to an accurate categorisation, simplifying your further uploads and categorisation in general. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them at the commons:help desk.
Thank you for your assistance, Roland 08:36, 16 March 2010 (UTC)