More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:Mango Carrie Asit fs8.jpg was uncategorized on 18 March 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:02, 19 March 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Mango Display2 Asit ftg.jpg was uncategorized on 27 March 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:57, 28 March 2010 (UTC)
- Image:ElephantApple Asit.fs.jpg was uncategorized on 17 April 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:09, 18 April 2010 (UTC)
- Image:SilkFloss01 Asit.jpg was uncategorized on 4 May 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:25, 5 May 2010 (UTC)
Mangoes and categories
- I've created Category:Mangoes from Fruit and Spice Park. Please read Commons:Categories#Creating a new category
- Please read COM:OVERCAT. Files in Category:Mango should not also be in Category:Fruit or Category:Tropical fruit, because the Category:Mango is already part of those categories.
- I've deleted Category:List of mango cultivars. But don't worry: I've created the gallery List of mango cultivars in Category:Mango. A gallery is far better for such a list.
- There are three files with similar file names:
- Impressive, all those mangoes. Good work. The article Tommy Atkins at en.wikipedia really needs an image. Don't you have an appropriate photo?
- New file name: File:Mango 03Tent Asit fs.jpg
- New category: Category:Mangoes from Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
- -- Common Good (talk) 19:06, 23 March 2010 (UTC)
Reminder about categorization
Hi Thaumaturgist, great photos, but I noticed you've categorized your recently uploaded mango images in too many categories and just want to remind you about the above message: "Please read COM:OVERCAT. Files in Category:Mango should not also be in Category:Fruit or Category:Tropical fruit, because the Category:Mango is already part of those categories.". In addition, Category:Mangifera indica is part of Category:Mango, which means that all images categorized in "Mangifera indica" should not also be in "Mango" — because they are already are by being tagged as "Mangifera indica". Jonkerz (talk) 20:13, 22 April 2010 (UTC)
Useful categories, please
Hi Thaumaturgist, please use useful categories and don't over-categorize your images. For instance in File:FicusAurea04 Asit.jpg you categorized:
- Category:Flora of Florida: not useful: 1. Only because the plant is grown in Botanicla Garden in Florida it doesn't belong to the natural Flora of Florida. 2. If the plant would belong to the natural Flora of Florida not only the pictured plant but the entire species would belong to it. Hence not you single image but the species category should be categorized.
- Category:Mounts Botanical Garden: ok
- Category:Florida: not useful, is over-categorizing due to Category:Mounts Botanical Garden.
- Category:Moraceae: not useful, is over-categorizing due to Category:Ficus aurea.
- Category:Ficus aurea: ok
- Category:Ficus: not useful, is over-categorizing due to Category:Ficus aurea.
Useful categories, again
- Category:Bael fruit: This is a category made by you that you didn't categorize. As uncategorized categories cant't be found they don't make sense. This one should be categorized with Category:Aegle marmelos and Category:Tropical fruit!
- Category:Tropical fruit: not useful, will be over-categorized as soon as Category:Bael fruit is correctly categorized.
- Category:Fruit: not useful, is over-categorized due to Category:Tropical fruit.
- Category:Fruits of Florida: not useful, a fruit of an alien tree grown in a Botanical Garden in Florida doesn't belong to the fruits of Florida. (Like a tourist visiting the US isn't an American.)
- Category:Aegle marmelos: ok
- Category:Rutaceae: not useful, is over-categorized due to Category:Aegle marmelos.
- Category:Fruit bearing plants by species: not useful and obvious nonsense.
- Category:Mounts Botanical Garden: ok
Once again I suggest to study and respect Commons:Categories. If you keep on categorizing as hitherto you only provoke needless trouble. Let me know if you need assistance. As long as you don't respond I don't know how to help you. -- Ies (talk) 17:21, 10 May 2010 (UTC)
Thank you for your patience. I have read Commons:Categories few times, as you had suggested, but it does not appear to be clear to me.
I don't understand when you say I didn't categorize Category:Bael fruit. Categories cannot have common English names ? Are they supposed to have the Scientific Names only e.g., Aegle marmelos ? What should be the correct categorization of Bael fruit?
Create categories, really
Creating a page that starts with "Category:" and contains nothing but the name of the category is not a category and will not be included in the category structure if it's not part of anything. Please categorize categories in their respective subjects. See an example here. Now the category is part of the Commons categorytree and will show up when browsing the Category:Flora of Madagascar. Also read the messages above carefully and the pages that are linked. Those contain useful information ! –Krinkletalk 14:06, 6 June 2010 (UTC)
Photos of plant labels in USA gardens
Hi Thaumaturgist - plant labels are copyright works with the copyright owned by the garden that produces them; photos of these labels are derivative works. Unfortunately, the USA does not have Freedom of Panorama, so such photos are covered by the copyright and can't be uploaded on Commons. This would not apply to federally-owned gardens (e.g. US National Arboretum), where labels are public domain, but it does apply to all other gardens (including state-owned). Thanks! - MPF (talk) 13:07, 18 June 2010 (UTC)
Wikipedia is not an image repository (from en:WP:IG). That is the reason why the galleries were removed. But you can create galleries and categories here at Wikimedia Commons. You can use en:Template:Commons and en:Template:CommonsCat to link from Wikipedia. -- Common Good (talk) 21:22, 10 September 2010 (UTC)
I hope the image uploaded in this article is your own photo. I wish to know about this image "Mango TommyAtkins02 Asit.jpg" is from where?, Is it from kerala? because the background is very similar to kerala region. Regards