Shortcut: COM:VPP· COM:VPPROP
|Welcome to Commons||Community Portal||Help Desk
copyright • proposals
vandalism • user problems • blocks and protections
RfC: Should we request Wikidata Phase 2 to be activated on Commons?
Wikidata Phase 2 would allow templates to draw information from Wikidata, though only from the unique Wikidata item that was directly 1:1 sitelinked with the page.
(For a short introduction to Wikidata, see Commons:Structured data/Short introduction to Wikidata)
In practice, the effect of this would be limited, because really only gallery pages would be able to access wikidata items with very much useful information. But it would mean we could try out gallery headers that come with an automatic link to the Commons category, an automatic link to any language-localised Wikipedia entry, an automatic language-localised description, and automatic links to corresponding pages (if any) on Wikisource, Wikiquote, and the corresponding page on Wikidata, and Reasonator. A very basic prototype for such a template can be seen tested at d:Template:SimpleCommonsGalleryHeader/test -- obviously, it could be made a lot more polished.
I think this is something it would be valuable to be able to start to play with. User:Lydia Pintscher (WMDE) has said she is happy to activate Phase 2 whenever we decide we want it.
- Support Jheald (talk) 14:35, 22 October 2014 (UTC)
- Support Limited use, but it can't harm. The really useful change will be when we can use WD in any template (Creator, Artwork, etc.). Regards, Yann (talk) 14:58, 22 October 2014 (UTC)
- Support --Dschwen (talk) 16:50, 22 October 2014 (UTC)
- Support per above. A "trial (galleryspace) run" is better than no run at all. 17:13, 22 October 2014 (UTC)
- Support - Andy Mabbett (talk) 17:26, 22 October 2014 (UTC)
- Support Meh, why not -FASTILY 19:41, 22 October 2014 (UTC)
- Support Maybe I would oppose this on Wikipedia, but it seems sensible here. Gestumblindi (talk) 21:53, 22 October 2014 (UTC)
- Support--Oursana (talk) 23:58, 22 October 2014 (UTC)
- Support,but I am confused. I was assuming that the reason Wikidata Phase 2 was not activated on Commons was that it was not ready to work in Commons environment, not because nobody thought about activating it. --Jarekt (talk) 03:12, 23 October 2014 (UTC)
- Support --Atlasowa (talk) 08:23, 23 October 2014 (UTC)
- Support as a necessary step towards COM:Structured data. --El Grafo (talk) 11:04, 23 October 2014 (UTC)
- Support in principle, but we should be careful about transferring data to Wikidata where they stay outside our control and can in principle be vandalized. Some mechanism should be designed which alerts the page when the local data is not the same ones as stored on Wikidata.--Ymblanter (talk) 13:49, 23 October 2014 (UTC)
- Support --Manuel Schneider(bla) 19:16, 5 November 2014 (UTC)
- Support Ziko (talk) 21:18, 7 November 2014 (UTC) 'Control' should be in future more on Wikidata itself, where it will have more impact than on a single wiki
- Support -- Christian Ferrer Talk / Im. / Fav. 22:06, 14 November 2014 (UTC)