More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
- 1 Tip: Categorizing images
- 2 COMMONS:POTY
- 3 Hi
- 4 Commons:Bots/Requests/orbot1
- 5 MediaWiki talk:EnhancedPOTY.js/or.js
- 6 POTY 2012 Committee
- 7 POTY 2012 Committee IRC Meeting
- 8 Picture of the Year voting round 1 open
- 9 Picture of the Year 2013 R1 Announcement
- 10 POTY IRC meeting
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:1 012.jpg was uncategorized on 7 March 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:13, 8 March 2011 (UTC)
Thanks for your help on the POTY Committee! :)
I just noticed that you've made edits like  and . However, if you add the people's names in the format to the Voters list, then a couple of bots will periodically go through all 805 pages and do that job for you - just from the voters page! :)
I just thought that I'd let you know so you don't have to do double the amount of work unnecessarily when the bots can fairly easily and quickly run through the pages.
Hope this helps,
- Thanks Thehelpfulone. --Srikant Kedia 15:09, 30 April 2011 (UTC)
Hi, could you please be more careful this user has no Global or Commons account and this user's commons account isn't even eligible. Please check to make sure that they actually have an account before verifying. Also when verified move to the appropriate section. Ancient Apparition (talk) 04:08, 1 May 2011 (UTC)
- Yes, Sorry for that. there was some error. I was going to correct it,but i saw that you have already corrected it. By the way thanks for your interest & help on Poty2010 --Srikant Kedia 04:22, 1 May 2011 (UTC)
POTY 2012 Committee
Since you were in last year Committee. I'm sending this mail as an invitation for you to join this year committee. My idea is to finish the list and galleries as soon as possible so we can start POTY in late January or early February 2013.
- Thank You Beria for your invitation. Yes, awesome idea. --Srikant Kedia 16:48, 7 December 2012 (UTC)
POTY 2012 Committee IRC Meeting
Hi, a POTY Committee IRC meeting will be held on Friday, December 28, 2012 around 8:00 AM PST. You can convert that time easily to your locale at this page
This date was selected because the largest number of people indicated that they would be available. The meeting is on Freenode IRC channel #wikimedia-commons-poty (webchat).
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks, Mono 02:06, 24 December 2012 (UTC)
Picture of the Year voting round 1 open
Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2012 Picture of the Year competition is now open. We're interested in your opinion as to which images qualify to be the Picture of the Year for 2012. Voting is open to established Wikimedia users who meet the following criteria:
- Users must have an account, at any Wikimedia project, which was registered before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC].
- This user account must have more than 75 edits on any single Wikimedia project before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC]. Please check your account eligibility at the POTY 2012 Contest Eligibility tool.
- Users must vote with an account meeting the above requirements either on Commons or another SUL-related Wikimedia project (for other Wikimedia projects, the account must be attached to the user's Commons account through SUL).
Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all entered in this competition. From professional animal and plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps, emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and impressive human portraits, Commons features pictures of all flavors.
For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories. Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you can vote for as many images as you like. The first round category winners and the top ten overall will then make it to the final. In the final round, when a limited number of images are left, you must decide on the one image that you want to become the Picture of the Year.
To see the candidate images just go to the POTY 2012 page on Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons celebrates our featured images of 2012 with this contest. Your votes decide the Picture of the Year, so remember to vote in the first round by January 30, 2013.
the Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee
Picture of the Year 2013 R1 Announcement
Round 1 of Picture of the Year 2013 is open!
- In other languages: العربية, български, Deutsch, English, français, italiano, македонски, മലയാളം, 日本語, русский, svenska, اردو, 中文
Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2013 Picture of the Year competition is now open. This year will be the eighth edition of the annual Wikimedia Commons photo competition, which recognizes exceptional contributions by users on Wikimedia Commons. Wikimedia users are invited to vote for their favorite images featured on Commons during the last year (2013) to produce a single Picture of the Year.
Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all entered in this competition. These images include professional animal and plant shots, breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historical images, photographs portraying the world's best architecture, impressive human portraits, and so much more.
For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topical categories. Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you may vote for as many images as you like. The top 30 overall and the most popular image in each category will continue to the final. In the final round, you may vote for just one image to become the Picture of the Year.
Round 1 will end on .
the Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee
You are receiving this message because you voted in the 2012 Picture of the Year contest.