If you need to reach me, use my Wikipedia Talk Page at User:Knulclunk
Uploading public domain pictures on behalf of a third party
I have asked the copyright department of a commercial organisation to send me public domain pictures (of buildings and a person) for use in WP articles related to them. They are happy to send some and understand that the pictures in question will have to be in the public domain. Will I be able to upload pictures I receive from them and select an appropriate license, or will the pictures need to be uploaded by people in the organisation itself? I would like to upload the pictures for them, since they are busy, but I am not sure if and how I can release their pictures into the public domain on their behalf. Would appreciate advice. Jayen466 15:06, 6 June 2007 (UTC)
- Forward the email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the commons link where you uploaded the pictures to and for info. look at Commons:OTRS.--THUGCHILDz 18:25, 6 June 2007 (UTC)
So I have modified a photograph that was released as creative commons:
- You are free:
- to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
- to Remix — to adapt the work
- Under the following conditions:
- Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
What license do I use to upload to Wikimedia commons? --Knulclunk 06:45, 23 June 2007 (UTC)
- It sounds like the work is released under the Creative Commons Attribution license (CC-BY). It would be useful to know which version of the license. Is the source available on the web that we can look at? --pfctdayelise (说什么?) 08:39, 23 June 2007 (UTC)
Image Tagging Image:Tinkertoy_300126232168_.JPG
Thanks for uploading Image:Tinkertoy_300126232168_.JPG. This image is missing permission information. A source is given, but there is no proof that the author or copyright holder agreed to license the file under the given license. Please provide a link to an appropriate webpage with license information, or send an email with copy of a written permission to OTRS (email@example.com).
- First, you shouldn't post e-mails. Second, it takes time for OTRS volunteers to go through the e-mails. Third, based on the e-mail you posted, the permission will not be sufficient. "Permission to use" the image is not sufficient. The owner needs to specifically state a license. See Commons:Email templates for more information. MECU≈talk 13:02, 3 July 2007 (UTC)
Got it. Since we were going through the Ebay mail interface, the replies were stripped. I'll have the owner paste the license information back into his email. --Knulclunk 18:02, 3 July 2007 (UTC)
- You are fast like a freak. Sure!--Knulclunk 04:17, 16 November 2007 (UTC)
There seems to be a problem regarding the description and/or licensing of this particular file. It has been found that you've added in the image's description only a Template that's not a license and although it provides useful information about the image, it's not a valid license. Could you please resolve this problem, adding the license in the image linked above? You can edit the description page and change the text. Uploading a new version of the file does not change the description of the file. This page may give you more hints on which license to choose. Thank you.
|File:Fergie 2007.jpg has been marked as a possible copyright violation. Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content—that is, images and other media files that can be used by anyone, for any purpose. Traditional copyright law does not grant these freedoms, and unless noted otherwise, everything you find on the web is copyrighted and not permitted here. For details on what is acceptable, please read Commons:Licensing. You may also find Commons:Copyright rules useful, or you can ask questions about Commons policies at the Commons:Help desk.
The file you added may soon be deleted. If you believe this file is not a copyright violation, please explain why on the file's talk page.
Wikimedia Commons takes copyright violations very seriously and persistent violators will be blocked from editing.