Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content).
You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold when contributing and assume good faith when interacting with others. This is a wiki.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
- Image:Arco heliostat photovoltaic array.jpg was uncategorized on 17 February 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:52, 18 February 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Northrup I.jpg was uncategorized on 17 February 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:52, 18 February 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Northrup II.jpeg was uncategorized on 17 February 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:52, 18 February 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Cupie cropped.jpg was uncategorized on 18 February 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:53, 19 February 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Cistercian Chapel.jpg was uncategorized on 18 February 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:53, 19 February 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Lynn Northrup.jpg was uncategorized on 22 February 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:51, 23 February 2010 (UTC)
- Image:LLN-Wiki.jpg was uncategorized on 9 March 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:03, 10 March 2010 (UTC)
- Image:LexmarkAIOScan16.jpg was uncategorized on 9 August 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 16:43, 10 August 2010 (UTC)
File source is not properly indicated: File:Rooftop_Photo.jpg
|This media may be deleted.|
A file that you have uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, File:Rooftop_Photo.jpg, is missing information about where it comes from or who created it, which is needed to verify its copyright status. Please edit the file description and add the missing information, or the file may be deleted.
If you created the content yourself, enter
If someone else created the content, or if it is based on someone else's work, the source should be the address to the web page where you found it, the name and ISBN of the book you scanned it from, or similar. You should also name the author, provide verifiable information to show that the content is in the public domain or has been published under a free license by its author, and add an appropriate template identifying the public domain or licensing status, if you have not already done so.Please add the required information for this and other files you have uploaded before adding more files. If you need assistance, please ask at the help desk. Thank you!