More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:Voter ID laws by US state.svg.jpg was uncategorized on 16 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 16:04, 17 September 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Voter ID laws in the US map.jpg was uncategorized on 17 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 15:03, 18 September 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Voter ID laws in United States.jpg was uncategorized on 17 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 15:03, 18 September 2011 (UTC)
- Image:MexicoVoterID.jpg was uncategorized on 17 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 15:03, 18 September 2011 (UTC)
- Image:2008 voter id map.jpg was uncategorized on 18 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 17:40, 19 September 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Gingrichbooksigning.jpg was uncategorized on 3 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:51, 4 November 2011 (UTC)
Download w:Inkscape and find any svg world map on Wikipedia. Drag the colors on the bottom to each country, and voila! If you have any problems, message my English Wikipedia account, I'm more active there. --Haha169 (talk) 01:01, 21 September 2011 (UTC)
File source is not properly indicated: File:Gingrich at Ames, Iowa.jpg
|This media may be deleted.|
|A file that you have uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, File:Gingrich at Ames, Iowa.jpg, is missing information about where it comes from or who created it, which is needed to verify its copyright status. Please edit the file description and add the missing information, or the file may be deleted.
If you created the content yourself, enter
If someone else created the content, or if it is based on someone else's work, the source should be the address to the web page where you found it, the name and ISBN of the book you scanned it from, or similar. You should also name the author, provide verifiable information to show that the content is in the public domain or has been published under a free license by its author, and add an appropriate template identifying the public domain or licensing status, if you have not already done so.