More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
- Image:Nes Vágur Suðuroy Faroeislands.JPG was uncategorized on 7 November 2009 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:40, 8 November 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Vágseiði Vágur Faroe Islands.jpg was uncategorized on 7 November 2009 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:40, 8 November 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Brandur Enni A Musician from the Faroe Islands.jpg was uncategorized on 24 November 2009 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:54, 25 November 2009 (UTC)
Wikimedia Commons has a specific topic
Please don't post messages that are not relevant to Wikimedia Commons. The site does not host articles, only media files such as images, video and audio. Neither should the site be used for chatting, promotion, personal webpages or other such things. For more detail, see Commons:Project scope. Thank you.
|File:Akraberg_Headland_and_Lighthouse_Suduroy_Faroe_Islands.JPG has been marked as a possible copyright violation. Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content—that is, images and other media files that can be used by anyone, for any purpose. Traditional copyright law does not grant these freedoms, and unless noted otherwise, everything you find on the web is copyrighted and not permitted here. For details on what is acceptable, please read Commons:Licensing. You may also find Commons:Copyright rules useful, or you can ask questions about Commons policies at the Commons:Help desk.
The file you added may soon be deleted. If you believe this file is not a copyright violation, please explain why on the file's talk page.
Hi. The photo of Akraberg, Faroe Islands, which I uploaded on Wikimedia Commons is similar to another photo of mine, which I earlier have uploaded on my Flickr profile. Both photos are own work. Eileen.sanda (talk) 17:18, 15 December 2009 (UTC)
File tagging File:FC_suduroy_logo.jpg
|This media was probably deleted.|
|Thanks for uploading File:FC_suduroy_logo.jpg. This media is missing permission information. A source is given, but there is no proof that the author or copyright holder agreed to license the file under the given license. Please provide a link to an appropriate webpage with license information, or send an email with copy of a written permission to OTRS (firstname.lastname@example.org). This also applies if you are the author yourself.
The file probably has been deleted. If you sent a permission, try to send it again after 14 days. Do not re-upload. When the OTRS-member processes your mail, the file can be undeleted. Additionally you can request undeletion here, providing a link to the File-page on Commons where it was uploaded (