More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
- Image:Ravel 3. Menuet. Le Tombeau de Couperin.ogg was uncategorized on 13 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 20:34, 14 October 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Ravel Le Tombeau de Couperin. 1.Prelude.ogg was uncategorized on 13 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 20:34, 14 October 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Mahler "Ruhevoll". 3rd movement, Symphony No.4.ogg was uncategorized on 13 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 20:34, 14 October 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Ravel 2.Forlane. Le Tombeau de Couperin.ogg was uncategorized on 13 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 20:34, 14 October 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Ravel 4.Rigaudon. Le Tombeau de Couperin.ogg was uncategorized on 13 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 20:34, 14 October 2011 (UTC)
- Re: this message: unfortunately none of Ravel's music is public domain in France (even the pre-1923 works), so it may not be uploaded to Commons. However, you may upload it locally to the English Wikipedia, where a work only has to be public domain in the U.S. to be usable. I'm not sure about any other wikis. Please reply at my Commons talk page in future, to keep the conversation in one place; I've removed the outdated note from my Commons talk page. Graham87 (talk) 01:29, 16 November 2011 (UTC)
File tagging File:VaMoRs.jpg
|This media was probably deleted.|
|Thanks for uploading File:VaMoRs.jpg. This media is missing permission information. A source is given, but there is no proof that the author or copyright holder agreed to license the file under the given license. Please provide a link to an appropriate webpage with license information, or send an email with copy of a written permission to OTRS (firstname.lastname@example.org). This also applies if you are the author yourself.
The file probably has been deleted. If you sent a permission, try to send it again after 14 days. Do not re-upload. When the OTRS-member processes your mail, the file can be undeleted. Additionally you can request undeletion here, providing a link to the File-page on Commons where it was uploaded (
Notification about possible deletion
|Some contents have been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether they should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at their entry.
If you created these pages, please note that the fact that they have been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with them.