User talk:Mark Miller
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
- 1 Transferred from old account as I should eventually fix these things
- 2 Tip: Categorizing images
- 3 Amadscientist
- 4 Requesting permission for photo to use in book
- 5 Your account has been blocked
- 6 Round 2 of Picture of the Year 2015 is open!
- 7 Commons:Village pump/Copyright#File:Bruce Ariss.JPG
- 8 Unreserved apology
- 9 File:Duke statue.jpg
Transferred from old account as I should eventually fix these things
Tip: Categorizing images
Hello, Mark Miller!
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
- Image:Comitium 3D labled.jpg is uncategorized since 3 January 2009. BotMultichillT (talk) 05:36, 4 January 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Rmn-social-header-1-.svg is uncategorized since 2 May 2009.
- Image:Henry Delano Fitch.jpg is uncategorized since 11 June 2009.
- Image:Cannery Row at Night VI.jpg is uncategorized since 11 July 2009.
- Image:Meg Whitman Queen Meg Parody.jpg was uncategorized on 18 July 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:36, 19 July 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Lambda Sacramento.JPG was uncategorized on 6 August 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:37, 7 August 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Forest Theatre rebuilding.jpg was uncategorized on 9 August 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:55, 10 August 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Theatrical props from "Oliver".jpg was uncategorized on 2 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:49, 3 October 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Preston Castle 1.jpg was uncategorized on 31 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:41, 1 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Preston Castle 5.jpg was uncategorized on 31 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:41, 1 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Paul LPAC 2011.jpg was uncategorized on 20 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:53, 21 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Romney Skidmore.jpg was uncategorized on 20 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:53, 21 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Jerry Brown Rally A.jpg was uncategorized on 28 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:47, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Newsom Brown rally.jpg was uncategorized on 28 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:47, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Brown Bera.jpg was uncategorized on 28 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:47, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Jerry Brown rally 2.jpg was uncategorized on 28 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:47, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Brown rally.jpg was uncategorized on 28 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:47, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Frank N. Furter.jpg was uncategorized on 28 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:47, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Brown Bera 2.jpg was uncategorized on 28 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:47, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Newsom Broqn rally 2.jpg was uncategorized on 28 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:47, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Matsui Pan.jpg was uncategorized on 28 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:47, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Project Rome logo.png was uncategorized on 9 January 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:45, 10 January 2012 (UTC)
- Image:Washoe Drive Fire Smoke plume.JPG was uncategorized on 23 January 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:47, 24 January 2012 (UTC)
- Image:Project Rome banner large.svg was uncategorized on 31 January 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:44, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
Hello Mark. Could you clarify the situation with User:Amadscientist? Did you request a rename or did you simply create a new account? If the former, please could you point to a link confirming this. If the latter, please could you log in as Amadscientist and redirect your userpage and user talkpage to your new userpage and user talkpage respectively? That will help people who might be wondering what happened to Amadscientist. Cheers. Green Giant (talk) 12:32, 4 October 2014 (UTC)
- Well...uhm alright Green Giant. Here is the full story. I requested the name change and was actually told it could not be done locally and that I would have to request the change at Meta. That confused me so I just left it alone at that point, however, when I went from Commons to Wikipedia that very act of going from this site to that site began to suddenly, automatically log me into Wikipedia under my old user name there: Amadscientist. When I asked about this I was told that the Foundation made some changes to the renaming of accounts and that editors would now, no longer be able to request name changes localy and that it would be a single name globally. I had already usurped the username Mark Miller across all global account except the Italian Wikipedia because there was a blocked user with that name and I would have to ask directly there...but this was some time ago.
- Then the other day I came back here to commons and I was switched to the Mark Miller account. I have no idea who actually performed that action but I am very thankful because the situation was a bit stressful. Here is the original request: Commons:Help desk#Need to change my user name and the diff. Somewhat related to this is my last request under the old name for a deletion of an original upload (I had blurred some license plates after I had noticed the number were clearly visible) and received some great help from admin INeverCry at Commons:Administrators' noticeboard#Please delete the original upload. I hope that helps. Is there anything else you feel I should do or other steps I need to take? (oh..I forgot..I also noticed when looking at an international use of one of my images that I now automatically get logged into the other Wikis with the Username Mark miller, so that seems to indicate some overall change and perhaps not local to just Commons) --Mark Miller (talk) 21:05, 4 October 2014 (UTC)
- Ah yes, so you have got stuck in Login Unification too. I have a similar problem at Italian Wikipedia, the account hasn't been active in years but they won't let me usurp the name. :)
- The only thing you need to do is put the following text on User:Amadscientist:
- #REDIRECT [[User:Mark Miller]]
- and similarly on the talkpage:
- #REDIRECT [[User talk:Mark Miller]]
- so if anybody clicks on your old user name they will be redirected to this set of pages. Green Giant (talk) 22:04, 4 October 2014 (UTC)
- You know...I should have really already thought about that. LOL! But I come here and my brain seems to default to photographs and suddenly I become braindead. LOL!--Mark Miller (talk) 22:06, 4 October 2014 (UTC)
Requesting permission for photo to use in book
PLEASE BE SO KIND AND SEND ME PERMISSION QUICKLY: MY BOOK IS GOING INTO PUBLICATION SOON!
I would like to have permission to use your photo of Rome Forum Reconstruction
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Roman_forum_sketch_up_model.png in my humorous new book on architecture and city planning, titled "Hillary can bellydance too: a quest to save piazzas". Please be so kind and send permission directly to email@example.com (ID no. 702288)and cc to me firstname.lastname@example.org
Sincerely, Homa Jahansouzi-Danesh (Hillary)
Title: Hillary Can Bellydance Too: A Quest to Save Piazzas Publisher: Lulu.com Publication date: August 28, 2015 Format: Paperback and the print run is based on demand The territory: Architecture and City Planning, Humor
Your account has been blocked
:THAT is the fucking shit you use to decline? From the very admin that blocked me? Holy shit!!~ OK. As I stated, I am challenging the OTRS. Verify that it contains the needed verifications for a work for hire or delete the image.--Mark Miller (talk) 08:55, 14 December 2015 (UTC)
- An e-mail has been sent to the first uninvolved admin listed.--Mark Miller (talk) 08:34, 14 December 2015 (UTC)
== OTRS == It really is to verify stuff....right? I mean, if an admin....say...the one that blocked me for just reverting them over their involvement and outright declaration that all the uploading editor do is send them a copy of the e-mail they received....then couldn't that editor...say...make up anything they want and send it to said Admin? How do we know that the OTRS is valid without the museum curator that supposedly sent the email...confirming that the file sent was a work for hire and that they sent said e-mail...even though they cannot remember the photographer? Hey...if being blocked over that shit is what it takes....fuck this shit. You want files that are uploaded by questionable means. That does not mean that Wikipedia's image use policy agrees...but frankly, I really question this block and the admin that handed it out. They seem far too involved with a questionable upload at this point for me. But, that is not at all the issue. All I ask is that the OTRS be confirmed to contain all the criteria need for a confirmation of a work for hire by the institution in question.--Mark Miller (talk) 08:48, 14 December 2015 (UTC)
- I told you before, ask another OTRS agent to waste some time on your demands, since you don'trust me. I blocked you for reverting admin actions after warnings -> vandalism. I did not block you for stating concerns. Complain about me at the AN board in three days. Until then, good luck. --Hedwig in Washington (mail?) 08:58, 14 December 2015 (UTC)
::Oh...no, I do trust you....to do exactly what you stated and no less. What I challenge is what stated is all that was needed and if you can decline the block you made...go fuck someone else and not me. My asshole is sore from the thumping you are giving me. So stop. No, means no. Take your dick out of my ass.--Mark Miller (talk) 09:14, 14 December 2015 (UTC)
And yes....that was rape analogy.--Mark Miller (talk) 09:18, 14 December 2015 (UTC) And by the way....telling me to "waste time" is redundant. You wasted mine. You might as well use your god like powers to ban me because if you have authorized an invalid OTRS ticket, blocked a concerned editor just for reverting you over it (a fucking sad ass excuse) and then declined my unblock request yourself....then maybe it is I who have made the wrong choices and am fooling myself about Commons. Thank you for the demonstration of how this entity works.--Mark Miller (talk) 09:31, 14 December 2015 (UTC)
== When I am unblocked, Wikimedia may need to get some shit in order. == As I intend to bring this up in all the proper locations and the issues it involves. Blocking me only says, "Fuck you, we don't give a shit how much you support us or contribute to us.....we have our favorites that can do nothing wrong......even if we have to trump up their claims". That is the accusation that only verification can confirm or deny. OTRS is here for a reason. If it is the claim of the blocking editor that I have done something wrong besides reverting their unsubstantiated claims, I would love to hear it. That isn't something I expect to be forthcoming.--Mark Miller (talk) 09:47, 14 December 2015 (UTC)
- You have editwarred and therfore the block itself is valid. It does not matter if you are right or wrong, removing OTRS tags is NOT OK. You have to ask on Commons:OTRS/Noticeboard brefore removing tags. Apart from that, you used a strong language here such as "fucking shit". Don't do that again. --Steinsplitter (talk) 10:52, 15 December 2015 (UTC)
- Yep. Can't argue any of that. Nutting up never looks good does it. Not a pretty site to see and is absolutely not following the rule of not being a jerk, although I am not clear about the strong language issue. Is commons censored in a manner (I would suppose by consensus) that such language is not at all acceptable here?
- I apologize for my edit warring and removal of OTRS ticket. I do not know the guidelines or policies of Commons in this regard. I am familiar with Wikipedia's guidelines and policies and that the two are separate entities, but Wikimedia Commons should be respected in the same manner even if their procedures differ. I also am not familiar with who are admin and who are not, or what powers and tools they have here. I have only ever once discussed dispute resolution for commons and it was not something editors seemed interested in.
- Even if I am encountering issues with a particular editor on or off Wikimedia Commons, dragging disputes from one location to another is something I do not agree with. It shouldn't be done from Commons to Wikipedia, and it shouldn't be done from Wikipedia to commons. Man...not like I need to add fodder for wikipediocracy. LOL!
- The very fact that it was a temp block also seems that there was certainly an over reaction of such a classic sort.....I almost want to chisel this in stone for my own memory if no other reason. OK...well back to the purpose of being here. Uploading images.--Mark Miller 04:43, 16 December 2015 (UTC)
Round 2 of Picture of the Year 2015 is open!
You are receiving this message because you voted in R1 of the 2015 Picture of the Year contest.
Dear Mark Miller,
Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the second round of the 2015 Picture of the Year competition is now open. This year will be the tenth edition of the annual Wikimedia Commons photo competition, which recognizes exceptional contributions by users on Wikimedia Commons. Wikimedia users are invited to vote for their favorite images featured on Commons during the last year (2015) to produce a single Picture of the Year.
Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year were entered in this competition. These images include professional animal and plant shots, breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historical images, photographs portraying the world's best architecture, impressive human portraits, and so much more.
There are two total rounds of voting. In the first round, you voted for as many images as you liked. In Round 1, there were 1322 candidate images. There are 56 finalists in Round 2, comprised of the top 30 overall as well as the top #1 and #2 from each sub-category. In the final round, you may vote for just one or maximal three image to become the Picture of the Year.
Round 2 will end on 28 May 2016, 23:59:59 UTC.
-- Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee 09:45, 22 May 2016 (UTC)
I trust you're fine.
There is currently a discussion at Commons:Village pump/Copyright#File:Bruce Ariss.JPG regarding an issue with which you may have been involved. Thank you. Wikicology (talk) 09:51, 26 August 2016 (UTC)
I am here to apologize for any wrong assumption and whatever embarrassment it might have caused you. Please, do accept my unreserved apology. With kind regards. Wikicology (talk) 10:53, 3 September 2016 (UTC)
|File:Duke statue.jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.