More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
- Image:SundbyelvaUnderBruene.JPG was uncategorized on 17 July 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:54, 18 July 2011 (UTC)
Hi Migrant! Usually we should upload cropped version with a diferente name (like File:Wang Beixing skating (cropped).JPG) to keep the original file. If the edited/cropped version of the file is very close to the original (just an enhacement), then we can overwrite the files. =) Giro720 (talk) 21:01, 3 September 2011 (UTC)
- Okay, I'm sorry. I'm a fairly new user of Commons, but I thought a new version like that was okay... but I'll take notice of that and will act in order by that message. Thanks for putting it right for me. :-) Sorry for my not that developed english. I've been a bit low on typing it for a while, so it is kinda rusty. My aim is to get more and hopefully better files in this database of illustrations either by Pictures, videos, or sound from my part of interests in life, which is my nearby neighbourhood, Ice Speed skating, and Football related themes. Allthough I would be guessing it would be mostly pictures. Which I hope you already can see from my user page. --Migrant (talk) 21:25, 3 September 2011 (UTC)
Wiki Loves Monuments 2011 has finished
- Message delivered by Lucia Bot in 23:55, 17 October 2011 (UTC)