The introductions of the country, dependency and region entries are in the native languages and in English. The other introductions are in English.
Maps are arranged by continent below. (For transcontinental countries, map is in the continent which the largest area of the country is located in)
organised by UN subregions
Northern Europe 
Western Europe 
Eastern Europe 
Southern Europe 
North America 
South America 
See also 
External links 
Notes and references 
- The WIKIMEDIA COMMONS Atlas of the World is an organized and commented collection of geographical, political and historical maps available at Wikimedia Commons. The main page is therefore the portal to maps and cartography on Wikimedia. That page contains links to entries by country, continent and by topic as well as general notes and references.
- Every entry has an introduction section in English. If other languages are native and/or official in an entity, introductions in other languages are added in separate sections. The text of the introduction(s) is based on the content of the Wikipedia encyclopedia. For sources of the introduction see therefore the Wikipedia entries linked to. The same goes for the texts in the history sections.
- Historical maps are included in the continent, country and dependency entries.
- The status of various entities is disputed. See the content for the entities concerned.
- The maps of former countries that are more or less continued by a present-day country or had a territory included in only one or two countries are included in the atlas of the present-day country. For example the Ottoman Empire can be found in the Atlas of Turkey.
Entries available in the atlas